Friday, 28 October 2016

Easy Halloween Mermaid Tutorial

This mermaid look is a lot easier than it looks and the results are stunning.  The secret weapon is a netted bag, mine came with some supermarket tangerines (which I washed first using washing up liquid.) Then I chopped off one end so that I could put it over my head. You can also use a wig cap which you can pick up at Claire's for £2  or from other costume shops.




  1. After applying foundation, I pinned a netted bag across my forehead with bobby hair pins.
  2. To create the scales I used MUA's Smokin Palette, you can use Urban Decay' s Smoked Palette or any purple, blue and green eye shadow. (Make sure it's not matte.) I grabbed a flat headed synthetic brush to pat on the eye shadow, starting with purple on the edges of my face, then green and blue.  
  3. Next I carefully moved the netted bag downwards. On a clean side, I applied the eye shadows down towards the cheekbones as if I was contouring or creating sideburns. I used blue and green from the MUA Smokin Palette. 
  4. For the eye makeup I first applied a eye primer. I used Too Faced Shadow Insurance in Candlelight. This is a gold shimmery colour which is good for highlighting the inner eye but I just applied eye shadow on top so a skin coloured primer would be fine too.
  5. I used a shimmery light green, the blue from the MUA Smokin palette and Bourois Turquoise eye shadow. I patted them onto the lid with Primark's double ended eye shadow and concealer brush.  Then I used a fluffy brush (Sigma E36) and used a window wiper motion to blend the colours together and used the blue shadow in the crease to smoke the eye. 
  6.  Then I lined my top lid with glitter eyeliner by Collection Glam Crystals Gel Liner in POW 10  Afterwards I applied Benefit They're Real Mascara and curled lashes with an eye curler. 
  7.  Next I added face gems from Primark these are self adhesive but you can use tweezers to pink them up so they don't stick to your hands. 
  8.  Then I carefully added Makeup Revolution Golden Lights Highlighter on my forehead and under the eyes across cheekbones. Then set the face with a setting spray.
  9. Finally I used No 7 Moisture Drench lipstick in Romantic and then used lip liner in Plum to fill in the lips for a stronger colour and definition. The lip liner is discontinued but use a medium pink red lipstick and liner instead.  
  10. To finish the look I pinned a beaded abalone shell necklace across my forehead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...