Sunday 16 July 2017

Disappointing Beauty Products #8




The Body Shop Peach Body Butter. 
I love peach scented products and The Body Shop's body butters, so what can go wrong? Well at first this is a lovely peach scent and very earthy. It smells very natural and realistic but after 10 seconds it starts to smell rancid and very chemically. As far as moisturising goes it's actually fairly good but not as much as the mango one.

The Body Shop Shea Body Butter
I liked the smell of this in the shop but once I took it home to use it smelt like men's deodorant (think Lynx) and it's heavily perfumed. The texture is slightly heavier than The Body Shop Peach body butter and leaves skin tacky as it takes longer to sink in. I am going to pass this onto my mum who likes shea butter and hopefully she'll get more use out of this.

The Body Shop Pomegranate Lip Balm
I really don't like the smell or taste of this it's like artificial sweets and wax not pomegranate at all. It also makes my lips tingle a little bit which I didn't really like.  It does have a nice red tint though. 

Biorderma Sensibio Micellar Water Sample Size 
I wanted to love this so much as it's such a cult product and now it's in the UK, its affordable. I chose the Sensibio for sensitive skin but when I used it it felt like it was burning my skin. I must be allergic to one of the ingredients. 

Burt's Bees Beeswax and Banana Hand Cream
This smells like the fake banana antibiotics they give to children but much more pungent. The beeswax acts like a waterproof protective layer that locks the moisture in. However I couldn't use this because the smell was just too overpowering. However my mum didn't mind the smell and found this to be good for her skin, moisturising as well as locking in moisture. However even if you like bananas I'd still try and smell it first before buying it. Nonetheless this is a best selling product at Holland & Barrett and they literally keep the jars under lock and key! 

Downtown Calvin Klein Sample Sized
I was given a sample of this and I expected this to be like other Calvin Klein scents that are fresh and not very sweet, but this is actually too sweet and spicy for me. The violet leaf and gardenia give it a very strong, sweet floral scent. The opening notes are supposedly fruity, with lemon, pear and plum. However I can't smell the pear or plum and the lemon goes away within 3 seconds. The strong floral smell takes over both the top and middle notes. After that it turns a little spicy with the pink pepper, neuroli oil and incense, which I don't really appreciate but I guess it gives the perfume more depth. Then a strong woody scent takes over, I like a subtle woody smell but the combination of Texas cedar and vetiver is too much for me. This has been discontinued but they are still selling it on Fragrance Direct.   

Beauty Blender Liquid Cleanser Sample sized
I  finally caved in and bought a beauty blender and the beauty blender soap along with it, as I thought the two products would work well together. I had the choice of a liquid or soap bar, but the liquid soap had more positive reviews so I went with that. However it was the same or worse that using washing up liquid. The first time I used this was with Estee Lauder's Double Wear Light. I had a feeling that Double Wear would be trickier to remove with soap, water and washing up liquid but that's why I bought this. I tried different methods to try and get the beauty blender clean. At first I applied the soap to the stains and massaged it in. Then I soaked it in water with this soap for 10 minutes. The water changed colour a little but the sponge looked the same. Since I was about to go out of the house I left this to soak for 4 and a half hours. When I returned the beauty blender looked exactly the same and just as dirty. I also used this to clean my makeup brushes and it cleaned most of my brushes well (brushes that I had used for powder and gel eye liner) but I found it hard to wash my foundation brush. To be fair the foundation brush was covered in  EL Doublewear light and it was a dense brush. I'm really disappointed because this soap was made for beauty blenders and their original purpose is to use it with foundation. They should have tested the beauty blender soaps with long wearing foundations such as Estee Lauder foundation. I'm glad I got a sample size and didn't buy the full sized bottle. Apparently Dr Bronner's soap is much better so I'll be trying that. 

Have you tried any of these products? What did you think of them? What has been your latest most disappointing product? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...