Sunday 15 July 2018

Disappointing products #9

The following products just didn't work for me but we all have skin that responds differently to others when we're trying out different products, so these are just my own experiences. I have combination and sensitive skin on my face and the rest of my body is sensitive too.


Boots Botanicals Micellar 3 in 1 Cleansing Solution All Bright  
Initially I was hesitant to try this because of the 'All Bright' brightening effect of the hibiscus AHAs. AHAs (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) clear away old, dull skin cells revealing glowing skin underneath. However general skincare advice for sensitive skin is to avoid AHAs and BHAs as they can be harsh and damage the skin barrier which is already thinner than those with normal skin. But the concentration of AHAs in this product is low and is mild on the skin, way more gentle than something like Pixi Glow Tonic. It did have a warming effect on my skin but it didn't feel uncomfortable or that it was burning my skin. Since it contains AHAs it will make your skin more sensitive to the sun so it's recommended to apply SPF (moisturiser or sun cream) during use and for one week afterwards.

I'm not a big fan of micellar waters in general because you just end up soaking more and more cotton pads and it doesn't feel that effective. But I felt that this was the one! I fell in love with this product because it felt like what a micellar water should be: it only took two pads to clean the skin, it didn't leave a film on the skin and my skin felt really clean because it was excellent at removing all traces of make up. Plus it has a mild, inoffensive scent.

So where did it go wrong? Well after about 6 weeks I started to develop a red patch on my cheek along with a spot that just wouldn't go. It was immune to witch hazel, niacinamide and salcylic acid. Eventually it went after 7-8 weeks of constant application of tea tree oil. During this time I cut out different products in my routine in order to find the culprit. When I switched cleansers it went but when I started using this micellar water to remove my makeup again I found that I got a red patch and a spot that refused to go away on the other cheek. Again 7-8 weeks later the spot finally went. So if your skin is sensitive or acne prone I would avoid this.

The Body Shop Pina Colanda Body Butter
I really, really wanted to like this because the smell is heavenly! It's smells of pineapple and coconut. It does a good job of moisturising but unfortunately it makes me itch. I'm brokenhearted as I love this the smell of this so much. It's also the first Body Shop body butter I've had this reaction to, I've tried coconut, strawberry, mango, olive, shea butter, Vineyard peach and blueberry in the past and have been fine. I think I'm going to try the Virgin Mojito instead to get that exotic summer scent.

Freedom Pro-Studio Strobe Cream Highlighter. 
Once you applied this it sinks into the skin and the highlight effect pretty much disappears. You can see my full review here 


Boots Fragrance Free Eye Makeup Remover Pads
I used these when I had to pack an overnight bag and didn't want to take a bottle of makeup remover. These pads are in a small pot that is great for travel. However they are incredibly greasy and therefore messy to use. They do remove waterproof eyeliner and mascara but it's not a pleasant experience using these because you end up spreading grease everywhere.

Marks & Spencer Sun Smart Sensitive Moisture Protect Sun Lotion  SPF50
Despite having sensitive skin I've always been fine using any old sunscreen. Usually I just pop into Boots and grab any ones on offer at the time. I got this in a beauty box and was happy that I didn't need to buy any sunscreen for this summer. However after I applied this to my arms I ended up with a red bumpy rash all over them. Thank god I didn't apply this everywhere. After a week or so it cleared up. In the past I've stuck to well known brands rather than store branded ones and although this might just be a one off, I'll probably stick to the big branded names that haven't caused any reactions in the past. So if you have sensitive skin be wary of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...