Friday 28 May 2021

Empties #3




Soap and Glory Smoulder Kohl eye liner 
This knocked my previous favourite eye liner Rimmel Eye Definer off it's top spot. Soap and Glory Smoulder Kohl liner is creamy and waterproof. It also comes with a pencil sharpener in the lid!  Unfortunately I lost the top to the sharpener and the last couple of inches dried up. This is my favourite black pencil liner and it's reasonably cheap.
Repurchase? Yes 

KVD Vegan Discovery Go Big or Go Home Mascara  (Formally Kat Von Dee Beauty)
I got this in my Christmas beauty calendar and the packaging is different than what's currently on sale. This mascara dried up very very quickly which may be to do with the toothpaste tube like packaging instead of a traditional mascara tube which is the current packaging . The brush is a bristle type brush and like the name the brush is very big! This creates a lot of volume to the lashes and is good  at separating lashes.  It does what it says on the tin lives up to it's claims. It retails for £20 and the mini is £11. I would buy this again, normally I would choose a mini size as I very rarely use up all the mascara in the tube within 3-4 months but I'm slightly concerned that it dried up so quickly.
Repurchase? Yes.









Marks and Spencer Absolute Ultimate Formula 8 hours Sleep Cream
This a great night-time moisturiser it's creamy rather than greasy and does a good job of hydrating the skin. It's paraben free and contains hyaluronic acid to hydrate your skin and anti aging ingredient peptides. It is fairly strongly scented, it a floral, fresh fragrance but it doesn't exacerbate my asthma.  I also haven't broken out despite my sensitive skin.   
Purchase? Yes 

Simple Moisture Cream with SPF30
Simple has unfortunately discontinued this product which I'm heartbroken about. It's a great light but nourishing moisturiser that contains SPF30. SPF30 is the recommended factor to protect skin. Most moisturisers go up to SFP15-20 which isn't enough.

Simple Dual Eye Make Up Remover
I chose this because I like the No 7 dual cleanser where you have oil and cleanser which you shake before use, The oil is good at removing waterproof mascara and eye liner. I found that I got through this quicker than my usual no 7 one but it does remove eye makeup well.
Repurchase? Yes

F.A.B Ultra Repair Hydrating Serum (Sample Not Pictured)
This is very similar to Hylamide's serum but slightly thicker. It has a clear gel texture, without much of a scent which is great as it's less irritating on the skin. It's good and as effective as Hylamide's version and would be worth picking up.
Purchase: Yes 

Murad Hydro-Dynamic Quenching Essence (sample Not pictured)

Essence lotion hails from Korea and is used after toner as an extra hydration step in a skincare routine. Murad's Hydro-Dynamic Quenching Essence contains Mexican Blue Agave leaf extract to improve the skin's ability to attract and retain water. A mixture of watermelon, apple, and lentil also help reduce dryness and flakiness. As well as improving hydration this essence contains glycolic Acid to gently exfoliate  so that your skin is smoothed. 

It is a gel consistency and smell slightly floral. I applied this 3 times on one side of my face. I found that my skin felt softer on the side I applied it or 'silkier' as Murad puts it. I didn't notice it contained glycolic acid until the final use. I have sensitive skin and it felt quite gentle but I'm not sure if the irritation would kick in the longer I used it. Because it has active ingredients of glycolic acid this essence acts more like a serum so that probably explains the high price point of £65. It works but it is expensive at £65.
Purchase? I'm not sure. This is seems gentle on my skin considering it contains glycolic acid but it's too expensive for me on my current budget.

Neutrogena Visibly Renew  Elasti-Boost Hand cream SPF20
A friend gave me a sample of this and I actually really like it. It has a nice fresh scent that's not overpowering. It's quite a thick formula which rubs in well but it does leave your hands tacky but not greasy afterwards. However it's a lightweight moisturiser and I feel that it's not moisturising enough  to use during the current pandemic. They say that your hands give away your age so having an SPF is a good idea to prevent brown spots though a higher SPF 30 would be better.
Purchase? Maybe 

Boots Strawberry Lip Balm
This is my go-to lip balm it's moisturising, doesn't leave a white tint or make your lips tingle  and cheap! The scent isn't too bad either.
Repurchase? Yes. 

Shampoo and conditioners

Philip Kingsley Anti Dandruff Shampoo
This shampoo contains the ani-microbal pirotone olamine to calm the scalp while cleaning your hair. It has a fresh but very subtle scent that smells to my like watermelon and cucumber. 
However I found that I had to wash my oily hair twice and I still had dandruff. 
Repurchase? No. 

Tresseme Moisture Rich Conditioner
This smells really nice and made my hair shiny and sleek.
Repurchase? I'm tempted to pick it up again but I'm trying to find MCI/MI free (preservative than can cause contact dermatitis) conditioners.

OUAI Leave in Conditioner  Travel sized 45ml £10 / 140ml £22
This is the first leave in conditioner I've tried and I love it- it's a lazy girl's dream or for those who live with lots of people and want to cut down your shower time! It contains vitamin E, argan oil and primrose oil to moisturise and condition hair, while hydrolysed protein minimises damage caused by heat styling. The thick consistency doesn't look like it would work with a mister but it does deliver a overall fine mist and feels lightweight on the hair. It offers UV protection as well as heat protection. It's MCI/MI free  (known irritating preservatives)  paraben free and  OUAI do not test on animals. It did make my hair feel soft and silky, but it doesn't detangle hair well. Additionally if  you're looking for rich hydration you'd need to get an intensive conditioner. I think that the sweet scent may be overpowering for some but I love it it's a gorgeous floral scent.
Repurchase? It is more than I'd usually pay and doesn't detangle hair but I might get another travel sized one as the scent is so gorgeous!

Palmers Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner
I bought this because it did not contain MCI and MI preservatives, but it's also free from sulphates, parabens, phthalates, mineral oil and gluten. It does contain dimethicone so if you're avoiding silicone this may not be for you. Extra virgin olive oil is known for nourishing properties and promoting hair strength and shine. It also claims to soften tight curls. The soya bean oil and keratin amino acids protects the hair from environmental aggressors and hot styling tools so that hair will look smooth and less frizzy, softer, bouncier and easier to style. It also contains Jamaican Castor oil which has a high lipid content to relieve dry itchy scalps while protecting hair from damage. I did not find that this reduced any frizziness . It did leave my hair feel soft and nourished although not sure if it made any difference it breakage.  It did leave my hair shiny but most hair conditioners do. I have long straight hair so I can't comment on curls. Apart from my hairdryer I don't use any hot styling tools. I also only apply conditioner to the ends and mid-length of my hair due to having an oily scalp so I can't comment on whether it helped my scalp.

I do love the squeeze tube packaging and the fact they have left some of the label transparent so that you can see how much product is left. I recommend using a comb to distribute the product even if it's mid to long length hair (I avoid my scalp as I have oily hair) because otherwise it will leave behind blobs in the bath. It has a mild refreshing scent.
Re-purchase? This was ok. Didn't blow me away but it's alright. The tube did last me a long time I want to try out other conditioners free from MCI and MI.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...